A few days ago I woke up and started my day much like I did when the kids were in school. Since Summer break I have slept in most mornings and was in no hurry to do anything but this day I woke up early, made a pot of coffee and sat in the bed and watched the Today Show.
That morning they had an author on there and the name of her book was "Rocking the Mini Van" and caught my attention. I mean anyone who knows me knows that I drove the "man van" for four years before my dearly beloved took it and I got the "cougar cab". So I was listening to this woman talk about how just because you drive a mini van doesn't mean your old and live is over. I couldn't have agreed with her more. She continued to say that she believes that times have changed and being a mother doesn't mean being the mother from the 50's or 60's. Times have changed. And I agreed, well sort of.
I am a young mother. I made choices when I was very young that changed my life and I have a 15 year old and I am 32. You do the math. But any who. I didn't have the best mother in the world and maybe one day I will share that but you know how you say when I have kids I am not going to be like my mother, well of course I did. Said it a lot. To this day!! But going back to me and being a young mother. I decided that I would talk to my kids and I would be there for them no matter what. My door would always be open to them and to their friends because I honestly think that I am young enough that I still remember all the pressure and crap that goes on while being a teenager, from one end of the spectrum to the other. I know everything....lol. I definitely like to think I do. Now the past few months I have had a chance to spend a lot of time with my kids, their friends, their friends and their friends!! My husband jokes that this house is Grand Central Station because someone is always here.
So I listen to this lady on TV as she is talking about how you have to be a "Modern Mother" and things just aren't what they use to be. And Lord today I have replayed that in my head over and over. Because she is right things aren't what they use to be but I do have to say this, and forgive me if I offend anyone. Just because you want to be a "Modern Mother" does not mean you cant teach your kids manners, morals, ethics, class, compassion for others and my list can go on and on. I like to think that I am a "Modern Mother" and my kids and most their friends know that they can have conversations with me about anything and I do mean ANYTHING. But they know that if I know they don't act right that I will have their tail. I am raising my girls much like they did back in the day with a little twist. But I wish parents would understand or agree that there is nothing wrong with pissing your kids off! Nothing wrong with telling them NO. Nothing wrong with teaching them how to say yes mam or no sir. Nothing wrong with when they do wrong how to apologize for what they did and punish them more than just taking 30 mins off curfew or taking their phones for a few days. Nothing wrong with setting boundries. Nothing wrong with expecting more of them and when they don't deliver you can tell how to do better next time. It is not going to kill them I PROMISE!!!!
I just am having a hard time today swolling how teenagers are today and what this is going to become of this world if "Modern Mothers" or "Mordern Parents" doesn't bring a little of those "good ole days" values back to our children.
God Bless
No comments:
Post a Comment